May 4, 2008

Introduction

Here I am, sitting at my computer, alone in my one bedroom apartment, trying to decide what to write for my very first post. I had the urge to write this blog as a way of expressing myself, my opinions and experiences and just random thoughts, as a way of reaching out to others and leave something of myself behind. Now that it's here, I'm not sure how to start.

I've been on a journey of self discovery for awhile now, a kind of daily conscious effort to be aware of myself and my life and my mood and my feelings and reactions to various life things. But it has intensified in the past 6 months or so, when I shed a toxic relationship and really began analyzing myself. It has been painful, intensely painful actually, but strangely relieving. I'm at a point of peace right now, and am completely alone for the first time in my life, which feels good. Really good.

I suppose I will begin my introducing myself and explaining a little what I want to do with this blog. I'm 27, a native Texan, a grad student studying art (photography) and education, and I will be graduating in a year to where I hope to teach high school students the power of art to heal and ignite a passion in life. I have recently come upon the fat acceptance movement and the HAES philosophy of eating, and it has honestly transformed my life and improved my self-esteem like nothing ever has. I am an avid feminist (not the man-hating kind, the kind that believes women should grab their power, stop giving it away, and contribute to the love of the world). I'm a lover, not a hater. I'm curious, self reflective, and well, like I said, on a journey of self-discovery. So, that is what this blog is about. The issues I will come across, the thoughts that go through my head that maybe relate to others lives as well. A way to connect and grow. I hope those of you who are reading this will grow a little along with me. Until next time...

No comments: